Apple iPhone iOS App is Availabe - Anova Culinary

I haven’t tried the app out yet, but after just checking the iOS app content I have to say I’m rather disappointed.
The app is incredibly uninspiring imo…low res pictures, no index, no possibility to set favorites for quick access later, no general non-recipe section (ie choose protein/vegetable + thickness/weight + preferred result = automatic set of temperature + time).
Maybe I was expecting too much, but this is so far below my expectations it make me wonder what I missed??
(And my apologies if all this is in the app, but to me that says something about poor UI usability if so.)

As far as I can see it’s just a long list of random recipes, presented with no real ambition to inspire at all. The design language of the precision cooker and the app is so far from each other I cannot believe the app is actually officially designed for it.

So yes, I’m disappointed at this stage (but all of this can be easily fixed through future updates given that you start to see the hardware and the app as one unit and focus on the total user experience. Right now it feels like you squeezed out an app just because you promised to, but that you don’t have much interest in it yourselves really…even though it is the app that makes the unit unique.

I can't get the timer to start , can set the time but it vil not start in the app but its running on the cooker

I am in the same boat. I can set the timer in the app but I cannot get it to start. What is the trick?

@friendlyfarmer and @packerchef are you still experiencing these issues? Make sure Bluetooth is switched on on your phone, then you’ll go into the app to pair. The blue flashing light is correct and it will be solid once paired.

App BT still doesn’t work. I have OS 7.1.2 on an iPhone 4, and there is most likely the problem. I saw somewhere that the support starts with the 4S.

I have a modest proposal.

Do a more basic app, which can be supported on older equipment, that at least works as a “manual-ish” extension of the unit’s functions. Temp, time, start, stop, etc. Strip out the recipes, links to satellite networks, Facebook and other totally superfluous, resource hogging (& fun) features. Do this for Apple, Android & Windows NOW!

Your credibility is at stake! The ANOVA web site & Kickstarter explicitly said/says there ARE apps for Apple, Android & Windows.

GET IT DONE!!!

ONLY then use your limited resources to start on V2.1 that has the fun stuff added (back) in. Then V2.2, V2.6, V3.1, …

@LostInKits Are you connecting through the app or through your BT settings? Here’s the link to the connecting process on our help desk: http://bit.ly/1DYDLwk - if you’ve gone through this process already let me know so I can take this to the team. Thanks!

Here is the official list of devices supporting Bluetooth LE: http://www.bluetooth.com/Pages/Bluetooth-Smart-Devices-List.aspx , iPhone 4 isn’t there. No instruction, no talking to the team, and no programmer’s effort will change that. Period. End of story.

Do a more basic app, which can be supported on older equipment, .

This is a hardware issue, not a software issue. Your phone does not implement the version of Bluetooth that is implemented in the Anova.

Rats! I was afraid that was the answer. Thanks for confirming.

My Windows Phone WILL work! I just didn’t want to wait, and wait, and wait.

And wait.

There are quite a collection of very creative people in the Anova discussions that probably have a simple answer to a query.

So I don’t necessarily need the “phone” part of the equation to use the ANOVA units. Just a better, more user friendly device interface. Might even be able to control multiple devices. Even to facilitate Wi-Fi connection to LAN.

What could make an ideal, long-term ANOVA app & BT compatible supplement to the ANOVA control unit? Phone, tablet, laptop, PC? There are lots of options online, and in my closet of aging electronics. Something to just have on the counter top or within BT range nearby.

@friendlyfarmer We’ll keep you posted on the Windows app status - we’re working out timelines for the Android and Windows apps and will send updates as soon as we’ve got more concrete details.

Yes, that’s the process I followed. A device displays, I click on it, then either have to cancel or stop scanning to dismiss the screen, but then nothing works, doesn’t pair as far as I can tell.

@LostInKits Are you connecting through the app or through your BT settings? Here's the link to the connecting process on our help desk: http://bit.ly/1DYDLwk - if you've gone through this process already let me know so I can take this to the team. Thanks!

@LostInKits I think the issue you’re experiencing will be solved with the revised step-by-step guide for the BT connecting process in the help desk, accessible by the same link provided before. We were able to replicate the problem you were having and identify the point in the directions that was causing the connection issues. We’ve updated the walk-through for the connection process and we’re also adding a video to make it easier to illustrate - I’ll send it over once available. Here’s the link again, with improved content: : http://bit.ly/1DYDLwk

Let me know if the updated directions resolve the connection issues - thank you!

Thanks for the help, Jordan. I’ll give it a try on the weekend when I can borrow my friends iPhone again (mine is an unsupported iPhone4.) I’ll let you know…Cheers.

@LostInKits I think the issue you're experiencing will be solved with the revised step-by-step guide for the BT connecting process in the help desk, accessible by the same link provided before. We were able to replicate the problem you were having and identify the point in the directions that was causing the connection issues. We've updated the walk-through for the connection process and we're also adding a video to make it easier to illustrate - I'll send it over once available. Here's the link again, with improved content: : http://bit.ly/1DYDLwk

Let me know if the updated directions resolve the connection issues - thank you!

@Centipede Thanks for checking! We're working on a timeline for the Android app and will provide an update when we have more information.

Any chance we can Get an update on this or a timeframe ?

@helge Our developers are working on it as we speak, but unfortunately, I don’t have any update on timing. I know that’s not too helpful and I apologize. I’m hoping to have something more concrete before sharing a specific timeframe. What I do know is that it’s coming along well so I’ll try to get a better answer to you early next week.

Hi Jordan–No, those instructions didn’t work either. I noticed that no where do they say to put the Precision Cooker in “discovery” mode (to detect the bluetooth) so I think maybe something is still missing in them. Regardless, I could only get the same thing as last time, I can send a screencap if you let me know where to Email it. Also, you should make the instructions less ambiguous by referring to iPhone or Precision Cooker instead of “the device” as you’re using two devices and it isn’t always obvious which you’re referring to. Any thing else I can try? Or does it mean it’s broken?

Thanks for the help, Jordan. I'll give it a try on the weekend when I can borrow my friends iPhone again (mine is an unsupported iPhone4.) I'll let you know...Cheers.
@LostInKits I think the issue you're experiencing will be solved with the revised step-by-step guide for the BT connecting process in the help desk, accessible by the same link provided before. We were able to replicate the problem you were having and identify the point in the directions that was causing the connection issues. We've updated the walk-through for the connection process and we're also adding a video to make it easier to illustrate - I'll send it over once available. Here's the link again, with improved content: : http://bit.ly/1DYDLwk

@JordanHouston Please see message above, not sure if there is a problem with my unit or your instructions…Thanks again :slight_smile:

@LostInKits I’m guessing it’s the instructions…hmm…will take another look and see. Here is the video I was referring to: http://bit.ly/1zLSSoX

@JordanHouston Thanks for the video. It also doesn’t show the bluetooth on the Anova being put into Discovery/Pairing mode. Nothing comes up for me when I tried that. Holding the Bluetooth button for 3 seconds puts it into this mode so it can be detected by the iPhone, right? If I do that (missing) step, I do get something coming up on the iPhone and I’ll email that screencap to you. Hopefully that gives you and the team more info to be able to help me out. Cheers…

My iPhone 6 was connecting to the Precision Cooker without any hazzle.
I am unable however, to start the countdown timer.