Can I connect to the Wi-Fi without a phone?

Just got my wifi and I have 2 questions on connecting to my router.

1. I have my router set for allowable MAC addresses. - Where do I find my units MAC address

2. I have heard that WPA-2 personal is not authorized. Is this true? If yes what types security is allowed?

Any help would be appreciated. Look forward to using this and in the meantime I guess I'll just use it as a standalone unit.

First, I assume you are using the iOS app.

Make sure your iOS device is connected to the appropriate WiFi network. Launch the app and connect to the Anova via Bluetooth. It will then ask you for the WiFi password and attempt to connect the PC to the WiFi. At that point, you may be able to see the MAC show up if you are watching your router GUI. Once you see it there, you can allow it. You may have to try connecting again.

Alternately, you may have to turn off the MAC filtering, connect the PC, then turn the MAC filter back on and allow the PC MAC. This method is probably easier.

My main floor router broadcasts two different networks. One uses WPA2-PSK [AES], the other is WEP. The Anova would not connect to the WPA2 SSID, but grabbed onto the WEP SSID without an issue.

@cschaaf said:

My main floor router broadcasts two different networks. One uses WPA2-PSK [AES], the other is WEP. The Anova would not connect to the WPA2 SSID, but grabbed onto the WEP SSID without an issue.

If you work for Anova, you should pass this along.  They better be supporting higher security protocols other than WEP - I certainly don’t see anyone being foolish enough to open up their home networks, just to be able to connect the PC.  That’s ridiculous! 

> My main floor router broadcasts two different networks. One uses WPA2-PSK [AES], the other is WEP. The Anova would not connect to the ? > WPA2 SSID, but grabbed onto the WEP SSID without an issue.

I couldn't get my Anova Wifi to connect to a WPA2 network either.  I was wondering if it was because it was a 5Ghz network or the WPA... not willing to broadcast an open SSID, (which WEP is essentially) so hopefully we get this fixed sooner rather than later. :(

My WPA network is also 5Ghz and the WEP is 2.4

That all said, the WPA network has always been flaky on that router. I’ll have two devices side by side and one won’t see the WPA network at all. If you check again 10 min later, it’s likely that has changed. Maybe both see it now, maybe neither, or maybe they swapped around.

The WEP side is rock solid, but only extends about 20’ to cover my living room, kitchen, and about 5 feet out on the patio.

I’ve talked to other users and haven’t heard of anyone able to connect to WPA yet. That would be a pretty big miss.

@cschaaf, @CKW - we need someone to configure one of their 2.4GHz networks on their WAP for WPA or WPA2 to isolate which is the problem (the security protocol or the frequency of the network).

Still waiting for mine or I’d be able to tell you. :slight_smile:

if someone can tell me where to get the iOS wifi app, I’ll install it on my roommate’s phone and let you know. I’m not seeing a download link anywhere and he’s only finding the old bluetooth app on the app store

@tardhat said:
if someone can tell me where to get the iOS wifi app, I’ll install it on my roommate’s phone and let you know. I’m not seeing a download link anywhere and he’s only finding the old bluetooth app on the app store

You would have to sign up for the beta on this thread:  Apple iPhone iOS App is Availabe - Anova Culinary - Anova Support - Anova Community | Food Nerd Forum | Anova Culinary   It generally takes a few days to get the invite after you complete the form.

Does anyone know how to un-register the PC from a network? 

I’m sure I have an old router laying around somewhere that I can set up temporarily to try, but how do I get the PC to forget about the network that it is already connected to?

Okay, I tried it and it seems to be a 5Ghz issue. When I set my 2.4Ghz network to WPA2, the PC connected to it pretty quickly. I tried connecting again to the 5Ghz using WPA2 and it wouldn’t connect.

By the way, to get the Anova to ‘forget’ the wireless network, I had to delete the app from my iPhone and reinstall it. Then run through the connection process like the first time. I did this each time I needed to switch networks.

For now, it’s connected to my 2.4Ghz WEP network.

@cschaaf, there were wifi troubleshooting options posted previously - if you go to the wifi FAQ, they should be there (those directions should wipe the wifi config from the PC).

I understand what you posted earlier about the range and potential risk regarding your WEP network, but no-one should be running WEP anymore.  It’s just too damn easy to crack.  As much as you think no-one can get on your network - if someone invests in a decent wifi antennae, they can pull networks from as far away as 3 miles.   It’s not just your neighbours you need to worry about.  Secure your home networks.

@fischersd, I tried holding the WiFi icon until it beeped, then doing it again and making sure it was white. That only made things worse - the app would no longer see the PC at all. The old, BT only, app would see it, though.

I had to uninstall the app, then reinstall it in order to reconnect to the PC. I never bothered with the WiFi icon after figuring out the app delete/reinstall.

Fair point about hte WEP. I really forgot I was even running a WEP network. We had a few legacy devices that did not support WPA or WPA2, but my guess is that we no longer have any of those.

As I mentioned before, I’ve had connection issues with the WPA2 network, but maybe that was also a frequency thing as opposed to an encryption thing. I’ll try changing the WEP network to WPA2 this weekend and see what happens. 

Thanks for the kick in the butt!

> @badrabbit said:

Android has 56% of the market and rising. Why did you choose to have the iOS Wifi ready before Android? 

That’s not entirely true. For 2015 iOS is forecasted as having a 23 percent increase in units shipped, compared to just 8.5 percent for Android. Apple sold more than 13 million new iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, a new record, in just three days after launch. Also, as a developer it is much easier to develop an app for iOS than the much fragmented android OS. In any regard, it is what it is. Both platforms will have an app soon enough. The most important thing is that there is now a Wi-Fi sous-vide cooker available. Life is good!

I still can’t connect to my 2.4ghz network with WPA2 :( 

I would think a stand alone wifi app would be the most versatile. Google chrome (not my favorite) runs on just about anything with wifi. Plus the Android app, like the IOS app will likely require a Smart Blue tooth device?

I do have a Smart Bluetooth device or two but not IOS or Android and I do have an older iPhone, so I am out of luck with either app. Not that I care really, from a usage point of view. Just think Anova is missing the boat big time on this one. Not that they are the only ones by any means.

Has anyone seen any reviews/videos/unboxing etc. for the wifi model. I cannot find any and it has been shipping for a while. Very strange.

@CKW said:

Well, if you’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app (so there’s no remnant data) and set the PC back to default values, before attempting to pair with it, and you’re not doing mac filtering on your WAP, then it could very well that the PC doesn’t support WPA2.  A shame none of the Anova folks chime in here. :slight_smile:

@Helen, the pre-orders aren’t getting retail boxing.  It’s a plain white box, no manuals or quick reference guide.  You have to download them from the support page.

@CKW said:

Can you describe your process? How far do you get? Does the Bluetooth connect?

I was able to connect to a 2.4G network running WPA2 last night. I’ll try it again tonight to make sure.

Re unboxing - I agree with @fischersd. It’s a rectangular white box with a picture of the PC on the front. when you open it, there is a plastic tray with 2 slots carved out. One slot hods the PC itself, the other holds the mounting bracket. That’s it. An unboxing video could be done using Vine and still have a few seconds left over. :wink:

I was hoping for the tube instead of the box.

@cschaaf said:

I was hoping for the tube instead of the box.

Yeah, me too. But the box was still pretty decent quality, and the plastic insert was sturdy and nicely fitted, so it wasn’t so bad. And the machine itself feels really sturdy, and I was able to connect easily, and on my test run, I checked the temperature a few times and it was bang on, so I’m happy.

Although my one suggestion would have been to at least do a print-up (maybe do 6 to an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper?) to say something like, “To view the manual and quick-start guide, please visit http://www.anovaculinary.com and click the “such and such” link” or whatever. Just something so that those who aren’t part of the forum have an idea of where to go.

> @cschaaf said: > > CKW said: > > I still can't connect to my 2.4ghz network with WPA2 :(  >

I was able to connect to a 2.4G network running WPA2 last night. I'll try it again tonight to make sure.

I can see my Anova in the beta app, via bluetooth and the pairing process to the wifi network fails.  I enter the password for the network and it just times out.  I've dropped the App.  I can't find a reset for the cooker itself... 

@CKW said:

> cschaaf said: > > CKW said: > > I still can't connect to my 2.4ghz network with WPA2 :(  >

I was able to connect to a 2.4G network running WPA2 last night. I'll try it again tonight to make sure.

I can see my Anova in the beta app, via bluetooth and the pairing process to the wifi network fails.  I enter the password for the network and it just times out.  I've dropped the App.  I can't find a reset for the cooker itself... 

Hmmm

I just verified again, my 2.4Ghz network is now running WPA2 and the PC is connected. My process :

I deleted the WiFi app from myiPhone, logged into my router and changed the settings.

Once the router rebooted, I connected my iPhone to the new WPA2 encryption, then powered up the PC, launched the app, and went through the process to connect.

FYI, my router is a Netgear WNDR3400

Have you verified that MAC filtering is turned Off?