Can I connect to the Wi-Fi without a phone?

Hi I know those of us with Android phones will have to wait for the App for a bit.   Is there a way I can connect to the Anova Wi-Fi with a browser? 

According to a chat I had a few minutes ago with Anova support you need an IOS phone with Smart Bluetooth to use the wifi app.  So essentially it is more limited than the Blue tooth model.

Hi @TecCrash - We don’t have a web-app just yet for the WI-FI device. For the interim while we work on the Android App, you can still use the existing Bluetooth Android app available here with both the Bluetooth and WI-FI version of the Precision Cooker , but as it is only a bluetooth app, it won’t have the ability for WI-FI connectivity.

I hope that helps !

ahh.  Will there ever be a wifi app or is it essentially the same product? I was thinking to order one but noticed no mention of a wifi app so I thought I would ask. I already have a blue tooth model.

Android has 56% of the market and rising. Why did you choose to have the iOS Wifi ready before Android? 

It should also have been in the specs that Android WiFi functionality isn’t available yet. From my past experience with other companies, I know that promises of Android apps often don’t manifest into actual apps (despite it being bad business as it purposely leaves out the largest part of the smartphone market). 

@Bill said:
Hi TecCrash - We don’t have a web-app just yet for the WI-FI device. For the interim while we work on the Android App, you can still use the existing Bluetooth Android app available here with both the Bluetooth and WI-FI version of the Precision Cooker , but as it is only a bluetooth app, it won’t have the ability for WI-FI connectivity.

I hope that helps !

So am I understanding correctly that the Wifi unit also has bluetooth capability?

@TecCrash Yup, the “old” Bluetooth app will connect to the WI-FI devices just fine. 

@Helen said:
ahh.  Will there ever be a wifi app or is it essentially the same product? I was thinking to order one but noticed no mention of a wifi app so I thought I would ask. I already have a blue tooth model.

There will be two separate apps for the short term - the existing Bluetooth app (which will function with the WI-FI devices coming out) and the new WI-FI (which we’re currently iterating on). 

Its a tad confusing, I understand - so ask away and I’ll answer to the best of my knowledge :slight_smile:

Okay Will the wifi app function when it is released without a Smart Blue tooth IOS device?

Thanks

So help me understand…In the end when all of the apps are finished you will still have to be with bluetooth or wi-fi range to be able to control this thing remotely or even control it at all?  I was hoping that I could control it really remotely like from my work computer.

I don’t buy apple products and the android app isn’t out so there is no way for me to control the device or I can use the legacy bluetooth on an android device?

@Bill, I would be willing to beta test the Android App and provide professional feedback to the team. I am a software developer by trade, so I think I could help. Contact me at matthew.c.sargent@gmail.com

Late reply but @wildeied You will be able to control it remotely from the iOS app (and when android app is released). You can control it regardless of where you are, provided you have a data connection (this includes 3G, 4G, LTE, or WI-FI).

As the Android app itself is planned for later this quarter, for the interim you can use the existing Bluetooth Android app (search Anova Culinary in the Play store, thats the Android Bluetooth app). 

You won’t have any of the WI-FI functionality or features (range, etc) but you will be able to control your device within Bluetooth range.

@msargent - Thanks for the heads up - Stay tuned to the forum when we start beta testing the Android app :slight_smile:

The app is completely and utterly irrelevant, no matter which platform. The front panel interface does everything you need. I love gadgets and shiny interfaces, but seriously? The hardware temperature scroll wheel on the unit is perfect when coupled with a third party timer, such as your phone. Nothing else is needed. Kenji’s involvement is nothing more than a cynical marketing exercise. 

@Simon_C

I have now had a chance to view the app extensively and couldn't agree more although I do love Kenji:). I thought I was possibly missing something but now I know better.  I actually use the timer on the Anova as well. Easy once you get used to it.

I sympathise with Bill though. Must be tough to try to support an incomplete product and the poor chat people don't seem to have a clue. Not to mention the factory seems to have run out of glue to firmly attach the faceplate. Not an easy job IMO but he is a swell guy.

I think I would use the WiFi App for remote starting. I think I might like the timer if I got use to it. The recipes are a good idea and worth trying I think. Nice to have a a reference. When people start getting the units I think there will be more comments and help.

I think the app will also be nice for things like eggs, where if you want to hold them for any length of time, you need to lower the temperature once they’ve come to the right temperature so they don’t get all thick… 

The WI-FI app is just getting started - I’m really excited for its potential uses :slight_smile:

@Bill  In theory (so others tell me that use the Apple SDK) you should be easily able to port the app to the iPad, OSX as well as the upcoming AppleTV with minimal effort (kinda the point of Apple having an integrated development platform across their ecosystem).

Heh, that will actually have a lot of appeal for those addicted to technology if you do the Apple TV integration with Siri navigation enabled. :slight_smile:

Put that idea in the someday bucket - I know you guys have to get the Android out app quickly as well. :slight_smile:

null