Can you use 2 Anova Precision Cookers to Double Capacity?

Question: Is it possible to use two (2) “Anova Precision Cookers” simultaneously in the same water bath to double the 19 Liter capacity? Will the Temperature PID controllers function properly with the presence of another heating element/Controller OR is the probability of temperature overshoot/fluctuations significantly increased?

Concern: With the slightly lower capacity of the Anova Precision Cooker at 800W vs Anova One 1000W. I may need more power for larger cooks such as racks of ribs, rib roasts, pork butts, or large dinner parties.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Note - I’m currently running a home made rig with a 1000W bucket heater retrofitted into a cooler with a small food grade high temperature water pump and custom PID Controller. It is affectionately referred to the Meat Aquarium and although it works great, I would love to be able to retire this beast as it isn’t the easiest on the eyes (or the stomachs of guests who pry too hard as too how I was able to cook such a delectable short rib).

In theory, yes, attaching multiple units to a container will increase capacity. However, it would be great to hear from people that do this in practice. There are lots of people that do this pretty regularly, so it would be interesting to hear about their experience.

We’ve had people use multiple machines to turn a bathtub into a hot tub, so that’s another data point for you!

It would be particularly handy if one could “slave” other units to a primary device; not so much to avoid independent temperature readings, but some use cases (in descending order of practicality):

Subordinate devices could latch onto the primary timer
Subordinate devices could mirror programmed temperature ramp/gradients
Assuming one can provide information about the vessel that houses multiple devices, perhaps some type of synchronization of the pumps could be used to improve turbulence? (might even slightly reduce power consumption)
Subordinate devices could be configured in a load-balanced manner (think of network equipment with redundant power; each leg plugged into a separate circuit)

That’s about as many crazy uses as I can think of for multiple device support.

I have used two circulators at one time in a rather large cooler. This setup was used to keep three spiral cut hams that had been bagged for warming at a church function. It worked great. I only opened the number of bags we needed. The rest I put in an ice bath for cooling and then re-refrigerating/freezing afterwards.  As you might surmize, current draw from both units simultaneously could cause a circuit breaker to activate. These immersion circulators are rated at 800W each. I recommend that if you have to use two circulators on the same circuit, run one until the water is up to the desired temperature. Once the food is immersed and the temperature is coming up, set the second unit to a slightly lower temperature (one or two degrees as an example) than the first so that the second will run only if the temperature drop significantly. This will keep the “on time” of both units together at a minumum. Two of the smaller Anova units (800W), running together, should draw under 14 amps of current. Most homes use 15 amp breakers, so there really should not be a problem, until old “weak” circuit breakers are being used that may “pop”. Check your electrical panel to see what breakers you have. I have an Anova One which is rated at 1000W. If you have two of these units and run them at the same time, the current draw could exceed 16A which should activate a household breaker. If your cooking area (kitchen, etc) has two or breakers, then it’s possible the room is split and balanced as far as current draw is considered. Remember, microwaves, refrigerators, and other devices are also on these breakers so it is possible that if three or more appliances are running at the same time as your circulator, you could pop a breaker. I like the coolers. The insulation keeps the heating element “on time” to a minimum. Restaurants use the clear containers so that chefs and inspectors can “see” the cooking environment for safety and other compliance requirements.

Sorry for being so wordy. I enjoy SV cooking. 

Sam    

The ham…  I tried having a serving temperature of about 140°F or so. I’m betting 150°F would be ok too for already cooked ham. At least it would be warmed up for serving.