Eye of Round Roast for French Dip Sandwiches

When I got home this afternoon I put a eye of round roast in a bath at 131° F where it will cook for a few hours until my wife comes home. I seasoned it with a pepper blend and some fresh rosemary sprigs from my garden. I will sear it when it is done so it looks nice then cut it very thin for French Dip sandwiches. If there are any drippings I will put them in the aus jus. I will take pictures when it is ready to eat.

I just made a 24 hour brisket which cut like butter. I find the drippings don’t taste right for an au jus even strained. Find the same with steak drippings for a pan sauce too. Same with pork or lamb. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong? I have done it with and without seasonings/fresh rosemary etc. The meat is great but the liquid isn’t.  

Unseasoned I agree with you about the liquid. Last nights tasted pretty good and I added it to the aus jus. Here are a couple of pictures. I think I over seared the top but you could not tell in the sandwich. This would be perfect if you refrigerated the roast and then using a meat slicer cut it like the deli does for sandwiches. It requires a razor sharp knife to cut a hot roast really thin. I seasoned the slices with a little Johnny’s Seasoning Salt before building the sandwiches

@Helen said:
I just made a 24 hour brisket which cut like butter. I find the drippings don’t taste right for an au jus even strained. Find the same with steak drippings for a pan sauce too. Same with pork or lamb. Is it just me or am I doing something wrong? I have done it with and without seasonings/fresh rosemary etc. The meat is great but the liquid isn’t. 

I think it may also have something to do with cook time. When I have done 48-72 hour short ribs the juice even smelled a bit off putting. Like your experience the meat was delicious. With shorter cooks there is so little juice that it is hardly worth it anyway. Last night was one of the first times I have used the juices from a cook. Shorter time and seasonings helped I think.

What a lovely looking roast. Did it come round or did you roll it? I am thinking to buy some meat glue as well. I love the brisket but would like to get bigger slices. It does literally slice like cold butter even with my not so sharp knife.

Strangely enough I put the strained liquid in a mason jar in the fridge overnight and now it tastes fine. I will freeze and save for next pan sauce attempt.

Eventually my anova will pay for itself just by being able to make better than deli sliced beef at 1/4 of the cost including shrinkage.

Eye of the round roasts come like this. Not sure if it is the real name but that is what they call it here. It is a fairly tough cut of meat normally. If i wasn’t planning on cutting it really thin I would have given it a few more hours to get tender. Cut thin it was very good.

Bratwurst is up next for the weekend. I will brown an onion or two then add a bottle of beer and simmer a bit. Cool the liquid and pour everything in a bag with fresh bratwurst. 2 hours at 155° F then brown the sausage over the grill (or the stove if the snow that is forecast arrives). Serve with the onions a crusty roll and mustard.

Is it cryovaced when you buy it? Never seen one like that although I have seen a bit more cryovaced beef lately. A lot more expensive though. Lots of cryovaced pork at reasonable prices.  

Do you find bratwurst better done sous vide? I just simmer then fry ad it is delish, but if it can be better sous vide I will give it a shot.

No it is displayed along with the rest of the beef. It is one of the inexpensive cuts and can be tough and fairly dry if not cooked right. It is from the round or back end of the steer.

I will let you know on the bratwurst. I have not tried it yet.