If you have issues with the Wi-Fi Connection

After wasting 3 hours trying to setup the Wi-Fi connection I discovered that the PC Wi-Fi does NOT

a) support 5GHz
b) support WPA2.  It only supports WPA/TKIP

I had to go backwards in time with several devices just to make the PC work.  Horrible!

Your A. Is correct. I don’t think anyone has been able to connect to 5Ghz

However, B. Is not correct. I am using WPA2-PSK [AES] to connect my PC and it works fine.

Regarding WPA/WPA2, indeed, that’s what Anova is telling me also.  However, I had several devices connected with WPA2 so the router is not an issue.  I spent several hours trying to connect the PC using WPA2 without any luck.  As soon as I switched to WPA it connected on the first try.  Any idea what could be wrong?

Hmmm, it could just be a router/PC incompatibility issue. There isn’t much in the way of ‘human error’ that can go on with the PC setup, I don’t think. Especially if you’ve got it working on WPA.

I used to do a lot of home networking setups and the amount of router/device incompatibility was stunning. That was quite a few years ago, so maybe things have changed for the better.

I have a Netgear WNDR3400 that serves up two different SSIDs. One at 2.5Ghz, the other at 5Ghz. Both are using WPA2-PSK.

I am unable to connect the PC through 5Ghz, but had no issues at 2.5Ghz.

Interesting.  I have a VERY similar setup: Netgear R7000, two SSIDs, one at 2.5GHz and one at 5GHz.  Could not connect the PC with 5GHz WPA2, could not connect the 2.4GHz with WPA2, but did connect the PC with 2.4GHz and WPA…

Hopefully you have unique SSID’s for your 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks - if you named them the same, it’s possible it can confuse devices.

You also shouldn’t have a hidden SSID, as, at least in initial setup, that causes issues for the PC.  (there’s really no benefit from a security standpoint anyways…having a hidden SSID doesn’t make your network hidden).
I’m also using WPA2-PSK with the AES encryption.
Which iPhone and what version of iOS are you running with?  You do have the latest version of the beta app, right? 1.0.4 (348) is the version I have.  You can verify that in test flight.

Yes, I have two separate SSIDs.  None are hidden.  I’m running version 1.0.4, but not through TestFlight, rather downloaded directly from App Store.  I have an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.4

Ah, right.   I forgot that they had released this version of the app to the store.

Why are you running such an old version of iOS?  No idea if that has anything to do with it, but not running current code can cause you to have anomalies with new applications (which were developed and tested with the newer OS).

@dbm said:
After wasting 3 hours trying to setup the Wi-Fi connection I discovered that the PC Wi-Fi does NOT

a) support 5GHz

Sadly there is no sous vide circulator on the market that is 5K capable. BTW, running such an old version of iOS is only going to hurt you in the long run. 

I’m unable to get my iPhone 6S to connect/synch my wifi SV to my home wifi. I have connected an iPhone 5S and an iPhone 5C, but the two iPhone 6S that I have tried fail every time. I’m using 2.4 GHz with WPA2-PSK [AES].

I reached out to Anova customer support and they are aware of the bug, but so far Anova has not replied with any feedback on what is wrong or a possible fix.

Interesting…  Thanks!

As for the upgrade, I rarely upgrade to an x.0 version, and had no time to upgrade to 9.1.  Now I do have 9.2, but how no idea how to try to reprogram the Anova PC with WPA2.  So, does anybody know how to change the SSID or parameters of the Anova PC once a WiFi was programmed?

Delete the Anova app and reinstall it.

Again, those that aren’t familiar with it already should be using the suggestions Anova’s published in their wifi troubleshooting doc:  https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/205924616-Precision-Cooker-WI-FI-Connectivity-Troubleshooting

@E_r_i_c, sorry to tell you, but I’ve just picked up a 6S, updated to iOS 9.2 and installed the beta version (via TestFlight) and was able to connect to my PC fine.   Are you running the beta build or the retail build from the app store?  (might be worth signing up for the beta, just to see if there’s a delta in the builds).

@dbm said:
Interesting.  I have a VERY similar setup: Netgear R7000, two SSIDs, one at 2.5GHz and one at 5GHz.  Could not connect the PC with 5GHz WPA2, could not connect the 2.4GHz with WPA2, but did connect the PC with 2.4GHz and WPA…

Same here, same router, and same ios version.  It won’t connect at 2.4ghz with WPA2.

@CKW said: 

> Same here, same router, and same ios version.  It won’t connect at 2.4ghz with WPA2.

Still doesn’t work, even after resetting the Anova, deleting and reinstalling the app, and turning off encryption on my 2.4Ghz network.  Will not connect.  

1 Like

I see that the version number of the app is available on the App Store. How can you figure out the version number on the beta ?

@rorkin said:
I see that the version number of the app is available on the App Store. How can you figure out the version number on the beta ?

You go into test flight, then click on the icon for the app - shows you the version number as well as the Send Feedback link and suggestions of what to test.

Ah thanks. Could you be of any help in my quest to find the Google group noted in the group invite.

I can’t find it on google and it returns Not on this domain when I acc sad the link in the email

@rorkin, nope, I can’t - it never worked for me - I reported it to them, they never fixed the access control issues.

Google Groups

Authorisation Failed

This group is on a private domain.
Please sign in with an authorised account to view this content.

Within the 30 day period, so going to return the machine until Anova gets their act together and has a functional wifi product that you can actually control via wifi.

Product was announced a long time ago, and software development should have been ready at product launch.