Precision Cooker WI-FI connection issues

Hi All,

I wanted to briefly touch base that we’re aware of an ongoing issue affecting some WI-FI cookers.
We’re doing our best to get this resolved ASAP.

As soon as I have updates I’ll be updating this main post.

/edit 1 655pm 7/24 PST: We’re currently performing maintenance on our servers.
/edit 2 225pm 7/25 PST: Servers are partially online. You can currently view/monitor your cook via app, but you cannot change the temp/timer nor start/stop cooks. For now you will need to manually set the time/temp via the device hardware.
/edit 3: 430pm 7/27 PST: Android Users: Please update to the latest app on the Play store. Download here . The update will resolve the issues you’re experiencing. 
iOS Users: Please update to the latest app on the App store. Download here . The update will resolve the issues you’re experiencing.
/edit 4: 10am 8/1 PST: We’ve released a new updated app on the Android play store. We’re now waiting for approval from Apple for the App store. This will resolve the lingering issues our customers are experiencing.
/edit 5: 5pm 8/2 PST: New iOS app is live and available for download via Apple App Store.

Thank you.

As it pertains to my ticket… Is this related to the unit changing temperatures without being prompted by the user? It is a software/server side issue? Just looking for clarification for other users.  :slight_smile:

When do you expect this to be resolved?

I just got my Anova wifi model today and was planning on using the remote capabilities.

@Gras said:
As it pertains to my ticket… Is this related to the unit changing temperatures without being prompted by the user? It is a software/server side issue? Just looking for clarification for other users.  :slight_smile:

I would also like to know if this app update fixes the random increase in temperatures. Thanks!

So, did you guys push a bad firmware update out via the app?  Or is this just some app related bug?  

If you are pushing firmware, why weren’t the users notified of this practice and given an opt-out option?  

Also, is it isolated to the wi-fi units or does it affect all models?

Mine reset again to 196.6F. Wrecked another roast. This is the third one.

Guess that answers that

And again to 199F from 64F

@Gras - I don’t know if it will help, but I also experienced multiple runaways starting on 24 JUL.  Since it appeared the issues were related to connectivity to the servers, I unpaired my phone and blacklisted the Anova at my router to make sure I terminated all net traffic.  No problems with preparing any meals since then by manually setting the temperature and keeping it locked down. 

It would be really nice to have some insight into the issue so I can trust the remote usage, and a heads up if there is a SW push down the road to correct any issues.  

This is very worrying. I just bought the Anova last week, specifically because I wanted the remote capabilities. My first cook I had to use it manually because of the problems. Now I’m afraid to connect it to my Wifi network so I can use the App, if this means it will mess with the temperature.

I more thorough answer from the manufacturer would be better than just: "we’re aware of an ongoing issue affecting some WI-FI cookers."

I assume all of the commenters above have updated to the latest App, but that this has not helped?

Anova - please let us know what the problem is and what steps you are taking to fix it - as well as any precautions we need to take to make sure our cooks are not ruined.

This is very disappointing, the poor Quality Assurance done on the app; in addition to that, you guys took such a long time to resolve the issue?

First of all, the bug that I was experiencing was a critical showstopper; and it is the very basic test case. 
How can such a critical issue get passed QA? 
Starting the cooker via WiFi should be the first thing to be tested. 

Second of all, it took so many days to fix such a critical issue? For such a critical bug, I think 1 day is too long already.  

I think you guys have a big gap to fill, you need a drastic improvement on the Software Development and Quality Assurance Process.

@therocketdoc said:
Gras - I don’t know if it will help, but I also experienced multiple runaways starting on 24 JUL.  Since it appeared the issues were related to connectivity to the servers, I unpaired my phone and blacklisted the Anova at my router to make sure I terminated all net traffic.  No problems with preparing any meals since then by manually setting the temperature and keeping it locked down. 

It would be really nice to have some insight into the issue so I can trust the remote usage, and a heads up if there is a SW push down the road to correct any issues.  

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try it out this evening when I get home!!

Hi Anova Team, 

well, this is a really disappointing user experience. I discarded my old sous vide cooker because my best friend is a real friend of your products. So I just got the new precision cooker, enabling me to start cooking being remote. BTW this was the ONLY reason my Non-Tech-Wife “allowed” me to get this redundant cooker.
But: It’s not working at all. It just doesn’t start cooking via app (yes, it’s the latest version) even with your own featured recipes. I have to do everything manually (not even the bt connection works as decribed) and if that doesn’t change during the next days she’ll make me send it  back to you guys. Which would be really sad for both of us as I like this thing. Please, guys, do something NOW. Fix this major bug. Come on, it’s a cooking app not a fintech something. Get it going and make me, my wife and all the other guys above happy again. Thanks in advance!

The latest update didn’t fix the issue.

After updating to the latest app (iOS) it worked once (able to start remotely) then it FAILED again and again.

What’s wrong with your team? How can such a poor product went out to production!

1 Like

Hi,

I sent back my first Anova because it lost wifi connectivity whilst in operation. 

The replacement piece was working fine (although only used once) until the app updated on my iPhone. Please:
1/ Do not release a new app version until thoroughly checked.
2/ Do not claim that a quick fix on the release version will solve all problems when it precisely fails to do so.

In the meantime, we will only use the device manually, I guess.

Love the Anova - the App for my Blackberry works great via bluetooth - just downloaded the app yesterday for my wifes Samsung S6 and it is a no go. Says to plug in Anova (when it already is) but will not hook up - her phone does show it on her bluetooth list except it will not hook up that way either - it does the enter code - not valid - note. Used my Z30 and made some awesome chicken breasts last night - Steak tonight.
Just stating it is not working as the others did.
I know it will all work out and the App will be fixed - just let the people know your working on it.

P

Is there anyway that you can roll it back to the previous version when it was working?

I have to concur with the latest comments.  After the latest Android update the remote cooking function seemed to work for one day.  Enough for me to remotely turn it on and off, change temperature as a demonstration to friends at work.  The from Saturday 30 July, it stopped working.  Cannot change temp or start cooking.  I have to manually set the temp, but cannot start it from the app.  Pressing the start cook flashes "Connect Anova" and stays in the "Start Cook".  I am a work now and that's what is happening.  Even when I am at home on local WiFi, it does not work.

Very disappointed. I ended up buying Anova Remote which uses Bluetooth.

I’ve had my Anova for a week, and while I’m very happy with the machine itself, I’m very concerned about two things.

First, the numerous problems I’ve had with the wi-fi connectivity.  And second, the poor communication and responsiveness to the customers on this forum.

Can we please get another update on what the problem is and what the timeframe is for fixing it?  I just posted on Facebook that, while I love sous vide cooking, I’m not sure the wi-fi model is worth the money given the problems I’ve had.  I’d feel better recommending the unit to friends if the user support were more robust.

Thanks.