Suggestions for chicken please....

So I just did split chicken breasts (with bones and skin) marinated in Teriyaki for 24hrs, prior, and left in for the SV… These things were MASSIVE… like over 1 lb each (growth hormones for sure. oh well)
I SV’d them for 2 1/2 hrs at 167F. Then a quick grilling while sprayed with olive oil.
They came out pretty good, although I feel like they could have been a bit juicier. And also, the Teriyaki absorption could have been better.
A friend suggested that I could inject the breasts with Teriyaki before the SV ? Or do you have a better idea ?

Anyway, I think I’m going to look for smaller breasts the next time, which will give me more surface area, and they might be inherently juicer, and more tender too ?

What time and temp do you suggest for split chicken breasts ?
Also, I’m thinking about doing whole chicken thighs, with bones and skin…

At 167° F you are driving a lot of the juices out. Try 145°F for 2 hours. I don’t care for injected flavors or many marinades so no opinion on them. I like the quick grill for flavor but be careful to make it quick as the meat is already cooked. As a side note marinades do not penetrate meat more than maybe 1/8 of an inch. If I am going to add flavor I do it by saucing during plating.

Thank you John. I think I’m just a little more paranoid with chicken cooking at lower temps, than I am beef. But I will definitely try a cooler cook the next time… Maybe 150, and see how that goes… then maybe 145 the next time…
I think I will try something thicker, like a Teriyaki Sauce, that I can actually put on it while I’m searing it on the grilled… Maybe Yoshida’s ? Something that will stick to it a little better, since I think your right, that not a lot of regular teriyaki is going to soak in.

The cool thing about SV is, once I get it dialed in, Ill be able to do it the exact same way 1000 X’s, and it will be great every time ! :wink:

1 Like

It takes a couple to get use to ta different texture but I like chicken cooked at a lower temperature. I generally sauce after cooking because there is little agreement over sauce choice in those that I feed. The grandkids prefer theirs lightly seasoned and browned on the grill with no sauce.

Thank you. Yea, here you on the sauces. I’m thinking I will just season with salt and pepper, and work on getting the SV just right. Then maybe even do different finishing sauces, even within the same cooking… I just bought two BIG bottles of G. Hughes sugar free BBQ sauce, which is freaking awesome, especially for use Keto people :wink: But my GF likes to make her own sauces, while somebody else might prefer Teriyaki, of which their are many of those types of sauces available too.

All will be on our BBQ grille though :wink:

My suggestion, if you don’t mind a little extra work, is to de-bone the thighs (but keep the skin on). They’ll cook much faster, so will stay juicier, and you will have more surface area for the sauce to cling to, giving you more of that teriyaki flavor. If you don’t really care about the skin, just buy boneless thighs.

I like chicken cooked @ 149F. I’m not afraid of the 145 but I think the 149 isn’t as mushy/soft but still plenty juicy. I buy large packs of chicken & vacuum seal them in 2 packs with a couple pats of butter and usually sprinkled with some seasoning or a couple tablespoons of marinade. Toss them in the freezer. You can cook from frozen. Just add 30 minutes for boneless 60 minutes for bone in.

TY Lara :slight_smile: I did 155F last time for bone in with skin thighs. But I’m not afraid of 149F… Anyway the last chicken SV went pretty good, but I should have been more aggressive on the BBQ’ing, as some of the skin was still a little slimy. Guga recommends poking a bunch of tiny holes in the skin before searing or BBQ’ing, to let some of that water out of the skin. Might try that next.

I think it’s a matter of finding the “sweet spot” for your preferred texture while maintaining juiciness. Poking it should help with water release & crispness, & tender fat. same principle as scoring a duck breast, but since chicken skin is thinner the holes should work well. Also be sure it’s dry when it hits the grill. Sauce after it crisps up. Water is the enemy of crisp.

Yea, I think that was my mistake. Will keep it dryer the next time :wink: