UK delivery - Any update?

No. I just had a reply telling me

“ Please be informed that due to Brexit, Anova shipments to the UK are now considered import/export. Hence, these duties/import fees are required to be paid for by the buyer in order to release the package.

Unfortunately, we can’t waive nor cancel this charge for you. As stated on our website, certain countries will require customs or duties fees to be paid by the buyer - https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/201725960-How-much-is-shipping-.

If you are not willing to pay for the customs fees, you may reject the package and the courier will return it to us. Once confirmed that it is returned to us, we’ll process a full refund for your order.

If there’s anything I can do to assist in the meantime, I’m happy to help!”

I appreciate Brexit means I need to pay sales tax but why am I charged EU Netherlands sales tax too?

VAT will be refunded to you

I expect there should be a refund but the reply I just received doesn’t confirm this. I suspect the team in the US don’t fully understand the issues.

Hi Jon,

Our products are shipped to the EU warehouse and from there, we ship it to the UK. VAT Charges that were initially calculated are computed based on receiving the product from our factories to the warehouse.

Again, we are sorry for the inconvenience.

Kind regards,

Ruben San Diego

No email received regarding refund of Vat, but I have received a reply from Anova saying that VAT is applies.

I expect to pay U.K. vat, duty and admin but no idea why Netherlands VAT.

The joy of Brexit.

Well I almost got mine yesterday. it was out with the courier but unfortunately it was sent back to the sorting centre due to ‘backlog’ and now its also showing as payment required so no idea what happens next

If you paid EU VAT to Anova that is being refunded

I received a note saying I was being refunded £96 for VAT.

The machine arrived, and my first impressions - out of the box - were good until I started to use it! :smile:

The keys locked up on me several times whilst I was attempting to burn in the oven. Then during the top and bottom oven burning I was getting disconcerting white smoke coming out.

I decided to try and get it connect to my my WiFi - After about 20 pairing attempts I got to the 2nd stage where I had to put in my WiFi password (that failed at the SHOW button on the iOS app didn’t , well, show the password). After another 10 attempt to pair I got to the Wifi connection screen again and thankfully this time it worked, and the Oven updated successfully. Much better impressions once all was connected.

The only other issue I’m having so far is the racks don’t quite fit certain of the rails - so I really had to struggle to get them in. I think the oven may be slightly scratched now alas.

I’m now in the middle of my second burn in - hopefully all goes well, I can’t wait to cook!

I’ve received a note about VAT refund as mentioned 9 days ago, but still no refund. Anyone received theirs yet? Thanks.

@BlueThunder71 Nothing received.

@colewagoner Why have I not been refunded the VAT? Your email said 7 days. You sent the email on 9th April. You have also not responded to my emails.

Got my Anova Precision Oven® delivered late on the evening of April 16 2021.

The ANOVA support staff were very helpful in initially setting up a case in their help system for the BREXIT-related import and delivery event. Though it took me a while to figure out what the various, unprompted, emails meant.

DHL’s systems though were woefully awful. The DHL staff I emailed and spoke with were very helpful but DHL as a company seems… way behind the times and like a loosely-linked federation of fiefdoms. Ugh.

ANOVA’s active approach to emailing me about the Netherlands VAT refund and then refunding that to my credit card within 10 days was good. Sorry to hear that other folks are having more trouble.

The DHL delivery guy delivered at about 20:40 on the day. The DHL website just said ‘out for delivery’ for about 48 hours beforehand. Useless website. He was really helpful and friendly.

I’ve since ordered a second oven and found that it is the original price + £100+ tax, import, & handling. Yikes! Hoping that somewhere there is NL VAT hidden and that’ll come back to me.

Just updating this.
Ordered Saturday, arriving Thursday for a second oven. Fast!

The price though.

The precision oven is listed at GBP549.99
There is a GBP116.80 shipping fee.
DHL texted me today to ask for GBP120 ‘import duty/tax’.
Total GBP786.79.

+42% on the current ‘sticker’ price. With the early order the price worked out about +4%.

There is text to indicate this brexit bonus on the order and information pages of the website. But perhaps the U.K. precision oven page could reflect the consumer price with a clear USA-style statement ‘oven price does not include shipping and local sales taxes and duties’?

Absolutely. I ordered the oven after checking with Anova customer support about VAT refund, which they confirmed I would receive… only to find out after completing the order that the advertised £549 price is now not inclusive of VAT (according to the statement I received), and therefore there’s NO VAT REFUND on new orders, even though the oven is marketed for €619 inclusive of VAT and shipping within the EU… In what world does that conversion rate work? Anova are simply declaring no VAT on the UK price while effectively charging you the VAT as mark-up price in sterling (extra profit margin for them).

Needless to say, I rejected the delivery not worth the nearly 50% mark-up with delivery and customs!

Hi, I’m new to this Community and I am still deciding whether or not to buy the APO. However, regarding the treatment of VAT for goods sold in the EU (i.e. Anova’s Netherlands site) I would like to state that I believe that Anova is NOT adhering to the EU/UK Trade Agreement requirements. VAT should NOT be charged in the EU - it should be zero rated and then Import VAT plus Import Duty is applied (and paid for by the consumer) when the item comes into the UK. I have spent quite some time researching this issue - I have spoken to HM Customs (HMRC), several import/export logistics companies and done fairly extensive on-line research. HMRC cannot understand WHY an EU company is charging VAT and the import/export companies informed me that in their experience, this should NOT be happening. These ‘experts in the field’ have all confirmed the results of my research. Added to this, I have carried out other research and there is no doubt that UK consumers are paying up to 21% more on the ‘base price’ (i.e. net of taxes and shipping) than people from all of the other countries who responded including the US, Singapore, Australia and the EU. Frankly, this issue is putting me off buying any item from Anova regardless of how much it appeals to me. I feel that UK consumers are being treated inequitably without good reason (even taking into account a possible corporate marketing strategy with potential ‘differential pricing’ practices). Bottom line, there should be no disparity between customers regardless of where they live in the world and VAT SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED TO UK CUSTOMERS AT THE POINT OF SALE - THIS IS CONTRARY TO THE EU/UK AGREEMENT.

I totally agree with you. The way VAT is being ‘managed’ is putting me off buying the APO. I also looked at the cost in Euros - you are quite right that it states that the EU price INCLUDES VAT (and this has been confirmed to me by people who purchased and live in the EU). It is contrary to the EU/UK Trade Agreement to effectively ‘double charge’ VAT. I have been doing a LOT of research prior to buying - I have spoken to HMRC, several impor/export companies and done on-line research. The ‘experts’ I spoke to confirmed my research that VAT should NOT be charged in the EU for goods costing over £135 which are ‘consumed’ in the UK. I intend to write to the Anova CEO about this and the pricing disparity so anyone who wants to add their experience, please do.

I understand your discontent.

For me I’d already made the decision to get a second oven so unsure what price I would have balked at. A clearer statement would help folks make that decision sooner: ‘does not include sales tax…’.

I’ll add that the oven is very good indeed and other options appear more expensive yet.

If I had a complaint then it would be levelled elsewhere: why do we still have such an egregious, regressive tax as VAT in the UK that penalises the poor far more than the rich?

It will be interesting to see what the duties will be.. .