WIFI does not work and is ridiculous

ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT IT SHOULD NOT BE THIS HARD TO CONNECT THE WIFI! The amount of resetting and reconfiguring and rebooting and restarting and all that is RIDICULOUS! I am not a novice - I have administered networks and have installed a number of smart devices - and this device is RIDICULOUS! My 2.4 and 5 networks had to be totally reconfigured so I could separate them and disable the 5 network, my anova is 2 feet from the router, I have uninstalled and reinstalled and redone the setup 6 or 7 times, I have telephoned and emailed Anova support and have done all of their troubleshooting. I have WASTED so much TIME on this! So pissed that I spent the extra $50 to get the wifi version of Anova. IT DOES NOT CONNECT TO WIFI!

8 Likes

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with connecting to wi-fi. :frowning: Have you also followed up with customer support and let them know all of the troubleshooting steps do not work? If not, please let them know. They’ll go from there.

I love love love my APC but @jgabelhudson is right, the WiFi is far too annoying to be useful anymore. In retrospect I find the WiFi feature to be unnecessary. One of the benefits of cooking SV is that you don’t have to keep a close eye on things. Set it and forget it, right? The ice bath feature sounds nice but I honestly will probably never use it. And everybody knows the timer function is worthless. I kick myself for spending the extra money for the WiFi access but then justify it by remembering that it’s 100 watts stronger than the BT version. So I’ve got that going for me.

Having said all this, I still love my Anova. Using the wheel on the front of the unit is easy enough to set the temperature. I’ve been fortunate enough to not have a stinky unit or any issues with steam vapors. I use it 2 to 3 times a week and have always been happy with the results. Like I said, I LOVE my APC but the WiFi and timer leave a lot to be desired. Just my $0.02.

Oh yeah, I also love the community here and always appreciate everyone’s input. That’s why I’ve decided to add mine. @AlyssaWOAH does a great job monitoring the discussions here and is usually quick to reply. But when all is said and done the software side needs some more work.

Thank you for listening.

4 Likes

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. Greatest attributes of the anova are a powerfully quick heater, and total accuracy of temp. And the greatest attributes of my overhead light is that with the switch I can turn it on/off and even dim it. Both work fine.

3 Likes

yes, connection to smartphone is useless, lol. And without it, the timer won;t work. So that’s all a bad joke. To connect with bluetooth, you have to enable location! Like that’s going to happen :wink:

Product works OK, but I gave up on the app.

Overall. just meh.

2 Likes

The timer will work manually. It’s just buried beneath the C/F change function. Press and hold the timer icon about 7 seconds. 3-5 seconds will toggle between C/F so you need to hold longer than that.

But really, the timer isn’t needed or even particularly useful. When the time is up the timer beeps… endlessly. Most kitchens have many other timer options available. Or there’s the one on your phone that goes with you everywhere.

Edit: apparently it is the PLAY icon not the Time.

Cool, thanks Ember! So, I dont even miss the app :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the club of super frustrated Anova WiFi owners. I’ve spent hours with support and working on it myself (I’m a techie), to no avail. The only reason I didn’t return it was the hassle and the fact that I got a good deal on it. I use Bluetooth, but that has a super limited range too.

BS excuses and unreasonable proposed remedies make it a situation that I wouldn’t recommend the product to anyone else.

3 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t go quite that far. The Anova is really good at keeping precise temperature. And setting the temperature with the wheel on the unit works fine. (I’d prefer to not have to scroll quite as many times for a 20 ºC change in setting, but that’s not a show stopper.)

For everything else, I agree. I only have a bluetooth unit, but that hasn’t been very reliable. Frequent issues with disconnecting and not being able to reconnect, especially after the phone puts itself to sleep or after switching to a different app and returning to the Anova app, as well as false alarms about cooking having finished many hours before the actual time (that’s on iOS). By most accounts here, wifi has even more serious issues, such as the arbitrary and unnecessary restrictions on the characters in a password, inability to connect to certain routers, and lack of a 5 GHz radio.

Setting the timer from the device (without the app) is so torturous that it isn’t worth the bother and, once the timer goes off, it beeps forever and cannot be silenced from the app (only on the device itself).

So, accept reality: set the temperature with the wheel and use a kitchen timer to tell you when the cooking is done. Since I’ve started using my Anova that way, I’ve been quite happy with it. No annoying beeps and no futzing around with an unreliable app.

So, when people ask me about the Anova, I tell them “Don’t try to use the app, it’s useless. Forget about the timer on the device, because that is useless, too.” With those reservations, I can actually recommend the Anova.

Oh, forgot one more thing: “For high-temperature cooks, you need a dedicated container with a lid with a hole for the Anova, or with some other improvised lid made from aluminium foil or similar, otherwise the device will disable itself because it cannot handle the steam it creates.”

1 Like

I use the WiFi to ensure my Anova continues to operate when I’m away from home. I use my phone and/or Echo for timing.

Honestly, the ability to easily set temp and start my Anova using the on device controls (without logging into the app) coupled with being able to confirm things are still running fine when I’m away from home via the WiFi gives me just what I need from this device! If I had access to an SDK I’d get more into the potential advantages of software, but I’m happy with what I have already.

I also have wifi connection issues. My wifi system has both 2.4 & 5.0 ghz. I can not get a wifi Anova connection to work at my house. However if I take my Anova to my daughter’s house which also has both 2.4 & 5.0 ghz & the wifi Anova works like a champ. The same holds true if they bring their Anova over to our house they can not connect to wifi but their’s works fine at their house. So I have given up on Anova & wifi connection.

1 Like

You took the words out of my mouth!! It shouldn’t require you to be a WiFi genius to get this to work! I gave up on this long ago! Very frustrating!!

3 Likes

For everyone having problems with WiFi it would probably be useful if you state the make and model of the router you are using.

Hey everyone. I really do want to make sure that everyone can get connected properly. I know I’ve said this before, but I do recommend reaching out to support. Our tech support will be able to figure out what the issue is on an individual basis (yes, there’s sometimes different little details that can affect connectivity).

The common theme here is the Anova, not people’s routers. After all, those work with everything else.

Q: Is it or is not possible for a user to install a firmware upgrade? I find the ongoing silence on Anova’s part regarding this topic quite disturbing.

If the firmware cannot be upgraded, people will be stuck with the dysfunctional wifi.

2 Likes

I personally have my Anova connected to my network via WiFi and have no problems. Connection was simple and seems to work pretty well.

@997cab is experiencing issues consistently when connecting to one router but not another - with two different Anova cookers.

I still think that it would be useful to know if others have problems with the same make and model router. (Heck, it would be useful to know if both routers @997cab is using are the SAME make and model.)

The router I am using (Apple Time Capsule) is different from my son in laws & I don’t remember his make & model.

Previously I had been prepared to accept that the instability of connection was actually caused by my router and, more to the point, my very dodgy ADSL2 connection over prehistoric copper. However, I have recently upgraded my entire connection, from rewiring data points with Cat 5e to taking on a new FTTN feed… with the run from the node being a no more than 50m run of shiny new pink copper. Every other connection in the house is now bulletproof… everything but the Anova. It connects to the network fine, as I’ve set the 2.4 network up as the orevious one was. The Anova still gets bored and decides to play no speaks when it feels like it.

Hi, not sure what the problem is with your set up. I’ve had my Anova for over a year now and set up was as easy as 1-2-3 and never had a problem since. Originally I had a Bluetooth unit and that was a problem because of the inherent range issues with BT but I exchanged it for the Wi Fi and no more connection problems. My router is about 15 feet away. So my guess is that either your router is working intermittently or there’s something wrong with your Anova and should get it replaced if it’s still under warranty. I also worked managing networks but even if I hadn’t I would have been able to connect it. It was that easy.

I think Anova should include an mechanical timer with a bell… at no cost!

What a joke…

1 Like