Is there a finer temperature adjustment method planned?

Hi there, 

I recently bought an Anova Wifi v1 - and while it is an incredibly slick device, the Wifi remote start works great, and all…I was a bit miffed to find out that the Anova Precision Cooker we get in the EU (at a, granted, nice discount at 140 EUR) is the v1 version, now that the Anova Wifi V2 is"out" (well, it’s sold in the US on Amazon, features 900W and a better pump - but no more details available, unfortunately).

The higher wattage is not really a huge concern for me, but…I was expecting at least a 0.1° resolution when setting temperature, based on the tech details as listed on anova’s site:

Temperature
  • 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F
  • 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C

Turns out, the device only allows 0.5° steps. OK, maybe I am nitpicking here, and for the wheel on the device it’s really fine, but in the app I would have appreciated a chance to set the exact temperature, esp. since I don’t want to switch between C° and F° for recipes.

Does anyone know if a feature like this is planned? If this is already available with the v2, I might consider returning the v1 and getting the new one.

Cheers, 

Bernhard

Hey Bernhard, 

I’m sorry we don’t have the new version out in Europe yet. It is something we are currently working on! 

They device does in fact measure to the 10th of a degree, but you can only set it to the 10th of the degree via the App. As you mentioned, on the physical device you can only set it by 0.5° steps, but the device will still measure to the 10th. 

You should be able to set to the 10th of the degree for C°, let me know if that is not the case for you and I can help you out. 

As far as the difference between V1 and V2, the V2 does not have anymore precise temperature settings compared to the V1, the main differences are as you mentioned 900w and a stronger pump. Both are great devices, it really just depends on if you want the higher wattage and stronger pump.

I will pass on your feedback about making setting temperatures on the device more precise, we are all about precision here, so I am sure it will be taken into account. 

If you have any other questions I am here to answer them, welcome to the Anova community, we are stoked to have you! 

Hi Hunter, 

if the difference is the 100W and stronger pump, I am not at all concerned, for bigger sous vide cooks I have another setup :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, in my Android App (Android 6.0), I also only have the option to set 0,5° steps. I’d appreciate if you could tell me how to set it in 0,1° steps in the app - then the Precision Cooker is my perfect match (love the remote start to get food finished when I’m home).

Cheers, 

Bernhard

I have a question about this. Aside from being able to say you can set the temperature within 0.1° What is the point?

I have never come across anything that requires this much precision even eggs.

Well…it’s one thing to say something requires this precision (maybe 1°C/2°F difference would also be indistinguishable - but would you purchase the next version of the Anova if it sported “roundabout 1°C/2°F precision in advertising”?) but at least to me it feels “good” to follow the temperatures of eggs / fish as close as possible, without switching between C/F for each recipe. 

Also, just to say that “my” perfect egg is at 63,2°C/1h, not 63,5°C like for the rest of the guys, who obviously have no idea about sous vide (I’m joking).

@bernhardH Hey, I just talked to our tech team and this is the dealio: 

For the new IOS Wifi app you can set the temp to 0.1, because you type it in instead of scrolling. This is not available in the android app yet, which is why you only have the option for 0.5 settings, but they are working on it and it should be implemented really soon! 

As always the device measures with accuracy the 0.1, so even though you cannot set it to that yet, you will always be able to see exactly what temp your yummy food is cookin’ at. 

The photo below shows what it will look like! 

@BernhardH said:
Well…it’s one thing to say something requires this precision (maybe 1°C/2°F difference would also be indistinguishable - but would you purchase the next version of the Anova if it sported “roundabout 1°C/2°F precision in advertising”?) but at least to me it feels “good” to follow the temperatures of eggs / fish as close as possible, without switching between C/F for each recipe. 

Also, just to say that “my” perfect egg is at 63,2°C/1h, not 63,5°C like for the rest of the guys, who obviously have no idea about sous vide (I’m joking).

Not arguing but I would like to explain something about the specifications. When Anova says

• 77°F to 210°F ± 0.01°F
  • 25°C to 99°C ± 0.01°C

what that is telling the consumer is that when you set the temperature the unit will maintain it within the stated ± 0.01°F or °C of the set temperature. It has nothing to do with the set point.

We had a lengthy discussion some time back on calibration and I pointed out that you need a calibrated thermometer that has a smaller tolerance than the unit you are measuring to do a proper calibration. The tolerance of ± 0.01° is tighter than all commercial thermometers. The highly regarded Themapen is ±0.7°F (±0.4°C) and their reference calibration units are ±0.04°C. To get a real thermometer capable of properly testing the Anova you are looking at thousands of dollars.

I have never seen Anova’s test results to verify the tight tolerance but it raises the question how would you know if the water is that temperature or not using normal measuring equipment?

I personally think it is all a bit of marketing hype.

Please post a picture of your egg at 63.2°C

@john.jcb I want to believe the Anova, and I plan to verify temperature with boiling water (which should be pretty exact, given the altitude and pressure). 

@Hunter - many thanks! Looking forward to the Android version :slight_smile: BTW - I added the Anova PC to the iPhone of my girlfriend, and even though I have the Wifi version, it can be paired only with one device? It’s no big issue for me, as I will use the PC most of the time, but I still wondered what the reason is for this (as with WIFI you should be able to access the PC from multiple sources?)

Cheers, 

Bernhard

> @Hunter11 said:

>…
>As far as the difference between V1 and V2, the V2 does not have anymore precise temperature settings compared to the V1, the main differences >are as you mentioned 900w and a stronger pump. Both are great devices, it really just depends on if you want the higher wattage and stronger >pump.
>…
>If you have any other questions I am here to answer them, welcome to the Anova community, we are stoked to have you!

In the v2, is there any difference in the timer setting procedure without the app?
Thanks.

fabio

@fabiospark said

In the v2, is there any difference in the timer setting procedure without the app?
Thanks.

fabio

Hi Fabio, 

No, the time setting procedure is the same for V2, but the app will be updated if you need to make those more precise temp changes. 

I ordered today on the Europe Store and could choose between the Bluetooth-Model with 800 Watts (for 179 Euros) and the WiFi Model with 900 Watts (199 Euros). I ordered the 900 Watt. 900 Watts means it is the Gen II? Is it available yet?

Yes the 900 Watt means that it is second gen. It is available to order, but it has delayed shipping. You should get an email with all this info, if not let me know and I can see what is up with your order.

Also it is only the wifi model that is available in 900W, bluetooth is all 800W right now.

Hoped that clarifies things a little!

Hi, I recieved my Anova last week. When I ordered it the web page said that the Wifi-version was supposed to be 900W, but I got the 800W-version. That was the only reason I got the more expensive one.

Hey! In order to look at what happened I’m going to need some more info, you can send me a private message with your order number, or contact support@anovaculinary.com

The 2nd Gen. is currently only available in the US and Canada, so if you ordered from somewhere else and you really want the 900 W device, you may want return the one you just got and wait until the new one is available. The reason this does not match up with my earlier post is because there was recently some changes in the availability. But I will do what I can to figure this out!

I know that is not very pleasant, but unfortunately, that is the only way to get the 900W outside of the US and Canada currently.

Looking forward to your message!

Thanks for a quick response.
I’m in Sweden so 800W is apparantly my only option. I just got confused when the website clearly said that the wifi-version was 900W. I guess I should have settled for the non WiFi-version then :slight_smile:

Hi,

I ordered my (AU plug) Anova last week, still waiting for confirmation of shipping/tracking but it’s busy so no problem.

So, the 900W is still only available in the US? I also got the wrong idea from the international store webpage. Any idea when the 2nd gen would be available with an AU plug? I would be tempted to wait for that release for the extra power/pumping.

Thanks!

Hi @bazzer007, Currently all wifi units are 900W, and bluetooth have always and still are 800w. So if you got a wifi unit it will be 900w :slight_smile:

You can also check your order status here if you don’t want to wait for support to get back to you: https://support.anovaculinary.com/hc/en-us/articles/217210126-Anova-Holiday-2016-Shipping-Schedule

Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thanks @HunterC, that’s what you said back on November 15 too (#12/17 in this thread) but then in response to @pajper you said 2nd Gen was US/Canada only.

Obviously things could’ve changed since then and now all Wifi units (including 240v AU plug) are 2nd Gen/900W which would be great! I just wanted to make sure. I ordered on the 11th December, so I’m hopeful it will arrive by Christmas (and that it will be 2nd Gen) but I don’t want to put support under more pressure by emailing so I’ll just wait and see. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your patience, hopefully it will be! and that link is a great resource if at any point you want to look up your order :slight_smile: