Who will take the step toward the next Connected Steam Oven

Really thinking about it, for some serious cookings, but I am still having difficulty to digest the Anova app downgrade disater.

1 Like

Iā€™m already saving up I donā€™t think it will be cheap

Canā€™t wait for it to be available. it looks like it takes up a fair amount of space so it is going to be a challange to get the wife to buy in.

Europeans have been successfully using SV in steam ovens for decades without apps. Results are not quite as uniform as water bath cooking but allow for much larger amounts because of their height.

I toured a French companyā€™s SV plant in Laurel MD that produced over 6,000 very high quality chicken breasts a day along with other items including seafood. They used roll-in steam ovens.

1 Like

Presumably this is a steam oven but not a combi oven. If so it would not be equivalent to ovens common in commercial usage.

There seems to be temperature, time and steam ā€˜percentageā€™ indicators active on the display - but will this equipment also extract moisture from the oven chamber - minus percentages? There seem to be three other unlit options on the left hand side - perhaps the answer might be in one of those

What is the proposed lowest oven temperature at which steam/moisture can be applied -

Looks like a quite small water tank presumably supply for steam generation - will it be possible to plumb the oven into a water supply and to drainage - otherwise what is the endurance in terms of cooking time if full steam is activated. We do trays of two chicken breasts rolled into a uniform cylinders with aromatics in a combi - 100% moisture Oven temp 62c to a probed core temp of 60c. That takes about 1.5 - 2 hours depending on size How would the new oven go with that.

Is the ā€˜steam at all times and temperaturesā€™ just that ā€˜water in the gas phase formed when water boilsā€™ in this oven or does the oven make moisture as humidity - ā€˜molecules of water in the air produced at ambient temperatures rather than by boilingā€™.

However - congratulations on taking this project to the next stage. All very interesting and worth watching but there is probably a need to peddle quite fast given the number commercial manufactures now adding smaller bench-top domestic power supply compatible combi ovens to their range.

Given past performance, this is likely to be the next Disconnected Steam Oven.

1 Like

From another perspective past performance has not been too shabby - on balance Anova is the leading pro-sumer maker in the field - thatā€™s surely worth some ongoing acknowledgementā€¦

Product development is a demanding road - there will be bumps along the way - the consensus on this forum seems to be that the last released Anova app is a pot-hole. No doubt the message has been heard.

Seems to me the developers have earned some credit points. Iā€™ll certainly remain supportive while still seeking clarification on details about the new product.

Does this look like it might work similar to french ovens I have seen that have steam for baking bread. Great crusts.

My current oven, which will likely also be my last oven, is a combi-oven. Once you use one, youā€™re hooked. I used the steam assisted feature a lot.

Not interested. Their app has soured me on any Anova connected device. Until they give serious attention to fixing something they took a lot of peopleā€™s money for Iā€™ll avoid the brand.

I am interested to see how it would work for me.

I do like to bake bread, wondering if it would work well.

Depends on the cost and how it performs etcā€¦ but very interested in the tech.

To avoid disappointment consider the maintenance of a steam oven and its water source. If your local water hardness is greater than about 6 grains you could experience some significant mineral or scale challenges in the oven.

Good point! Our water is quite hard, have to filter most things

BMF, the best ovens are plumbed in with a special water filter that removes all minerals. The OK ovens require frequent descaling tasks or the use of distiled water.

Hi @chatnoir!

I am playing catch-up reading older posts as Iā€™ve only recently returned from a month of traveling - and staying offline! :slight_smile:

Iā€™m curious - your combi-oven, which you appear to be happy withā€¦could you share the manufacturer and model - and what made you choose it instead of another?

Thanks

PS - Water hardness is not an issue where I live, so if there is an oven model whose only fault is a lack of handling hard water it would be an option for me!

Mike, welocome back. We missed you.

Itā€™s just a Kitchen Aid 30" Wall Oven with their steam-assisted cooking feature. I just checked and it appears they no longer make it. There might be a few in a clearance centre or an overstock store somewhere.

It was considerably less expensive than similar European models, but not as highly automated which i didnā€™t particularly value anyway. I have a friend who has a similar Miele oven but doesnā€™t use the steam feature.

I started using a German Rational Oven back in the 80ā€™s and found them to be of exceptional quality and versatility. Used Rationals are often available at reataurant liquidators. The smallest counter top model would be ideal for home use, but they are scarce. Shop carefully as they tend to be abused by cooks who have no idea of how to use one. You might call your local Rational regional sales office seeking information and the possibility of obtaining a demonstrator from their Training Centre and showroom.

If you get one youā€™ll have it for life.

I donā€™t think the first tier customer disservice has a clue about how poorly this/they have handled this debacle. It took me 2 (TWO) months to have my issues escalated to someone who had a clue.
Bluetooth model saved recipes unrecoverable if no account previously established.
The (European) EULA clearly states that they can and do monitor where and how you use the device(s); I have never wanted ā€œspiesā€ in my kitchen, but to continue to use I must let them in.
Egregious behavior.
Technically, the oven may or may not be awesome; software and customer service-wise I have grave doubts.

Not sure what is meant by ā€˜this debacleā€™ - the present conversation is simply in response an announcement of a future product. Given that Anova Culinary is now an Electrolux family product perhaps a fairer general assumption may be that Anova sales and support protocols may move to conform with EU based guidelines. That would not be a such bad thing.

As for inviting ā€˜spiesā€™ into private spaces - think about Facebook, Google, Amazon and many more - if one has any of them they already have you tagged an targeted and most likely on-sell your personal details and habits. EU privacy rules are far more restrictive and transparent that any of that mob.

A product calling home can be helpful. We are very distant from our European built vehicleā€™s home base - but as necessary Germany calls our car on the on board Sim card - in early days it was voice calls to assist us with setting up all the interconnections - itā€™s as much a car as it is a computer. In the future if there are vehicle issues Germany may voice call or leave a message on the carā€™s interface screen - and in the event of the panic/duress button being manually activated or by the vehicleā€™s computer sensing an accident there will be data immediate exchange between the vehicle and Germany. If correctly set-up the system will advise local authorities and provide them with real time tracking information.

ā€œThis debacleā€ is/was in reference to their recent app ā€œupgradeā€ which effectively broke links with any and all saved (favorites/recipes) on Bluetooth devices which had no account set up in advance.
The update broke pre-heating before starting the cook timer.
Up to that update, on the Bluetooth-only devices, one could safely use their purchased unit(s) without fear of the app ā€œcalling homeā€ as an account was not required FOR FULL AND UNRESTRICTED USE.
They changed their EULA after the fact.
That debacle.
So, yes, a steam oven as they have been hinting at would be a WONDERFUL addition to my (and a large number of others) kitchen(s).
They have, sadly, proven they canā€™t (or refuse to) produce software which will function as advertised, unless one provides them with personal information.
That debacle.